Monday, August 2, 2010

home cooking

my mom used to make pot pies for dinner. it was one of my favorites, even though she always told me a pot pie without chicken isn't much of a dinner. so, last night I made vegan pot pies, and with success!

The sauce was not quiet... thick enough, but it tasted good and the crust was great. The recipe I found called for tofu, but I used chick peas instead.

Crust:
2 cups spelt flour
4 tbs butter/shortening
1/2 tsp salt
rosemary and thyme
about 1/2 cup cold water
---
mix flour, salt, and herbs. cut in butter. add cold water until it hits dough texture (about 1/2 cup). Make 2 balls and put them in the fridge.



Filling:
saute onions and garlic. Add sweet potatoes, potatoes, carrots (and anything else), and herbs. Let cook about 30 min until potatoes are about 1/2 done. Add cooked beans.

For the sauce, I used 1 cup of rice milk, about 1 tbs butter, 2 tbs flour, salt and pepper to taste, and some water. (I think using a thicker milk {soy? or real?} and no water would have been a better choice.)

Preheat the over to 350, and roll out the dough (2 equal sized round pieces). Put one of the rolled out pieces of dough in the pie pan and fill it with potatoes etc then dump in the sauce. Put the second dough on top and pinch the sides closed. Make a 2 inch X in the center and let it bake for 45 min or more. (I turned the broiler on at about 55 min to make the top golden brown).


It's not moms pot pie- but it was pretty good.

No comments:

Post a Comment