Tuesday, July 20, 2010

easy peasy bread

One of the many things I've been doing this summer, is trying to keep bread stocked in the house. As it turns out, 10 people eat a lot more bread than 3, and making bread that takes 20 hours and lots of kneading isn't really very feasible.

So, I spent some time searching online for an easy, vegan, quick no knead bread. And I think my search was successful (and it's from the NYTimes... who knew?)

2 cups whole wheat flour
1/2 cup other flour (I've been using Spelt)
1/2 cup corn meal
1 tsp yeast
1 1/2 cup warm water
oil

Let yeast explode in the warm water, then add all the flours and corn meal. Mix. Cover for 4 hours. Then, grease a bread pan and fill it with the super bubbley mix. Cover and let rise for one more hour. It will reach the top of the pan, but don't worry, that's about all it will rise.


(Yes, that is a cast iron bread pan. Yes, I am in love.)


Bake at 350 for 45 min (or more) until it's done on the inside! And there you have it, fresh bread, with very minimal input- and a happy household!

No comments:

Post a Comment